Wofford College, Goodall Environmental Studies Center
Certified: LEED® Platinum by the U.S. Green Building Council®
- U.S. Green Building Council SC Leadership Awards, Exemplary Project Award, 2012
- South Carolina Department of Archives and History, Historic Preservation Honor Award, 2011
- Spartanburg County Historical Association, Peggy T. Gignilliat Preservation Award, 2010
Constructed around 1902, the Glendale Mill administration office supported an expansive textile manufacturing operation situated along Lawson’s Fork Creek in eastern Spartanburg County. Wofford College looked to the preservation expertise of our design team to support their acquisition and vision for an interdisciplinary academic center using the existing facility and surrounding 3-acre site. The 2,183 SF building houses the Environmental Studies program at Wofford College, the first permanent facility off their main urban campus, including classroom and conference space and two science laboratories.
Expansive arched windows, a fireplace, and wooden floors complement the building’s original wooden wainscoting and coffered ceilings. Restoration included weatherization and restoration of the brick and granite exterior, windows, and roof.