University of Richmond, E. Claiborne Robins Stadium
In association with BCWH
Certified: LEED Silver by the U.S. Green Building Council
Awarded: The American Council of Engineering Companies Virginia, Engineering Excellence Award, 2011
Prior to McMillan Pazdan Smith’s involvement, the University of Richmond Spiders last played a home game on campus in 1929. We began with a feasibility study to determine how football could be brought back to campus and concluded that the existing First Market Stadium, formally home to soccer and track only, could be adapted into a multi-sport venue including football and lacrosse.
Our team led careful planning efforts to understand and minimize the impact to the surrounding communities by performing traffic and parking studies, a light and noise pollution analysis, and developing game day traffic plans.
Through private donations, the stadium was renovated and increased to a 9,000-seat capacity with buildings on either side to house the press box, hospitality suite, President’s box, and space allocated for a future club level. The Home Halftime House located adjacent to the field provides the Spiders generous meeting space for before and after game gatherings. Opposite the Home Halftime House, the Fan Zone is an exciting new location for tailgating activities.
Copyright © 2021 Mcmillan Pazdan Smith Architecture