SCSDB Walker Hall

The South Carolina School for the Deaf and Blind entrusted McMillan Pazdan Smith to restore and repurpose their 1859 landmark structure and return it to prominence as one of the state’s most historic and majestic educational structures. Represented on the National Register of Historic Places since 1977, Walker Hall had not been renovated since the 1950s and was in great need of extensive structural, systems, accessibility, life-safety and functional modifications. 

McMillan Pazdan Smith authored an earlier feasibility study outlining necessary measures needed to transform Walker Hall into the state’s leading example of an accessible educational space designed especially for the School’s deaf and blind communities.  The Firm’s design transformed the 70,000 SF building into a state-of-the-art facility that houses the administrative offices, classrooms, dining facility, the State Museum for the Deaf and a 600-seat auditorium.