Converse College Pell Hall

In association with Hanbury Evans Wright Vlattas

One of the oldest buildings in Spartanburg, Pell Hall was constructed in 1891 and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The 21,100 SF Victorian structure was the second building on Converse College’s campus and is well loved by generations of students for its historic charm. It had fallen into disrepair and required significant interior and exterior restoration.

McMillan Pazdan Smith assembled a team of historic and housing specialists to address renovation issues and reconfigure spaces to create a greater sense of community among residents.

The project team traveled to leading peer institutions during Schematic Design to benchmark national trends for both historic and new residence hall facilities, incorporating ideas that would complement the uniqueness of the Converse College landmarks. The floor plan accommodates incoming Freshmen with two-room suites and shared bathrooms. Recreational and functional spaces incorporated into the design include a media/game room, living room, study room, laundry, seminar room and a kitchen/recreation area.

Awarded:  Palmetto Trust for Historic Preservation Honor Award 2015